Wednesday, June 15, 2011

School's Out!

Well, school's been out for a week now, and I'm happy to say I've seen a lot of you guys in the library! (I've also noticed a few faces missing. Can't wait to hear the travel stories when you get back!) Has anyone started summer reading yet? I know there are a few more days before we officially celebrate the You Are Here kick-off, but I couldn't wait to begin.

I've had Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games on my list for ages. Set in a futuristic North America that is under tyrannical government control, it follows the story of Katniss as she volunteers to take her sister's place in what is known as the Hunger Games—an annual “game” in which the 24 participants are forced to fight to the death on national television. If it sounds intense, that's because it is. So far I've listened to the audio for both Hunger Games and the second book in the trilogy, Catching Fire, and I'm just about tearing my hair out waiting for the final book to be available on Overdrive. If I don't get off the Waiting List soon I might have to cave and check out a physical copy of the book to read.

In the meantime I'm tiding myself over with another series that's been on my list forever, Eion Colfer's Artemis Fowl. Artemis is the most dastardly criminal I've encountered in quite some time—and he's only twelve! It's hard to cheer on his efforts to restore the family riches by whatever means possible, especially at the risk of starting an inter-species war, but it's impossible not to admire his brains and his spunk. Again, I've been listening to the audio version on Overdrive, and the narrator is absolutely one of the best I've heard. I'm still not sure what nationality he is, since he switches accents so seamlessly.

Those are the major ones I'm tackling at the moment. I'd love to hear what you are reading, planning to read, or what you think about the books I've just finished. Send me an email via the Comments form or stop by to say hi at the Lake Placid Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment